Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cause Essay


Gun Control

I remember when I bought my first Pistol, a black Smith & Wesson .45 caliber M&P. I had many guns. Rifles and shotguns I used for hunting and trap shooting, but not a handgun. I had always wanted one and finally I had one, but I was not nearly as excited to tell my wife about my new purchase. 

“Why the hell did you buy that thing?” She asked. “Well, I needed it.” “Give me three good reasons why you need a handgun in my house.” “Well OK I will”, and at that moment I had nothing, not one single reason that would wipe that smug wife look from her face. I knew I had reasons for buying it, but what would satisfy my wife and mother of three? “Amy I got the gun for Protection, Piece of mind, and for the kids.” I told her. “Oh really explain that for me will yeah?” was her response.


“Look around Amy this is not the same world we grew up in. Bath Salts on the streets of Banger, Maine, kids killing each other over drugs. I’m not talking about a few beers or a hit off the peace pipe here. This is serious and here in our own back yard, armed robberies, stabbings, and home invasions. Look at the facts; we have mass unemployment, rapid home foreclosures, and a host of methadone clinics. We are not living in the same times anymore and I want to be ready to protect our family if need be.  When we got married I told you I would love and protect you at all costs and that’s what I’m prepared to do.”
           “Secondly I feel much safer knowing I have the pistol with me at all times. I took the handgun safety class and got my concealed carry permit. I keep it locked up in the gun cabinet so the kids can’t get at it and hurt themselves. You must feel better knowing I’m prepared and trained to use the gun. Do you remember last year after a day of hunting when I told you about the pack of coyotes that followed me through the woods?” “What does that have to do with you having a pistol?” She said with a smug look. “If I had a pistol with me I would have been better prepared to defend myself. Now I can feel safer know it is with me while I’m hunting and you can have peace of mind knowing I’m prepared and safe.  You also know how I feel about observing my rights as an American, and in my mind owning this weapon demonstrates those convictions.”
            “And when my time in this world is up I will leave behind this gun and a legacy for our children. They will have my gun to use and all the memories of me, how I used to love hunting and shooting. How I always wanted them to be safe and have good things. They will remember how I stood for what was right. How I loved this country and our many rights as Americans. And as long as they have my gun they will always have a piece of me and I can stay with them forever.”  I hoped that if I through the kids in she would let me keep the gun.

            Bang...Bang...Bang...Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang. How I love the sound of emptying a clip from my old Forty-Five. It is like a part of me, it goes where I go. I carry it on my hip out in the woods, under my shirt in public, and under my arm rest in the Chevy.  As you can guess my dear Amy let me keep my pistol and since has even asked when I’m going to buy her a gun. I don’t know what it was that changed her mind. I hope she realized that the best way to control guns (“Gun Control”) is to control the people who have the guns. I wish more people observed the second amendment, took safety classes and carried. If this was the case we may have less mass shootings at colleges and movie theaters. We the people could be ready and able to stop these horrific events instead of relying on the police and the courts to find and prosecute these criminals!

You have the right not to observe the second amendment, but please respect my decision to uphold and embrace it!

1 comment:

  1. There you go! As I said in the email, the content and organization are spot on and the NRA propaganda is brought to individual and local level. Bullseye.

    And you got hold of those quotation marks.

    Done deal, done right.

    ReplyDelete