Sunday, September 16, 2012

Graf #12 Place

The Wedding Place


May 28, was a warm day and the grass at the church was still wet from the nights rain. I was nervous even a little anxious to see my bride. My new father in law gave me a pep talk outside of the church that day, but his words seemed to drown out as I stared at the peeling paint on the church walls hoping she would say yes. My groomsmen and I gathered in the pastors office and sipped whiskey from a flask as I awaited our introduction. The whiskey never tasted so good, and I had never been more afraid. I starred out at our guests sitting in old wooden chairs, gathered in an old run down church that had hardly been kept up. It was not a grand hall, or a magnificent church but it was all a young couple could afford. Our family members took pitchers and taped the ceremony to save money. From an old CD player the wedding music began to play and out came the bridesmaids. One after the other walking on old green shag carpet to the front of the room. It was now or never, my knees shook and my palms began to sweat. Out from behind an old dusty curtain came a beam of light, brighter then I had ever seen before. The glow on my brides face lit up the dark room and brought a smile to my face. She was here and awaiting my embrace. The room went silent as she walked down the isle. I had never seen a women look more beautiful in all my life. Up on a rickety old stage we held hands in front of our family and friend under gods watchful eye. We exchanged vows, rings, and a kiss. Just like that all my worries and fears drifted away in the spring breeze. I was now a husband, someones everything. I still drive by that old church from time to time, but I don't see an old building in need of repair. I don't think about the old carpet inside to me it is a beacon of light, a beautiful memory.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Your wife is one lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jess W--very nicely done piece with that clever contrast between the dusty tattered church and the radiant bride and ceremony.

    Would you like to submit this to the school literary magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you both for your kind words. I have trouble seeing what it is you guys see in my writing, but if you like it and it has touched you in some way then I would be happy to share it with the EMCC community.

    ReplyDelete