Monday, October 22, 2012

contrast essay #18 Timed



Some people say that “pets look like there owners”.  While that may be true, I think that pets share certain traits with their owners and those traits are what links us together and sets us apart. I share my home with a white and tan boxer named Lucy. Lucy is my girl and there is no doubt that we have a special bond because of the traits we share. We are obedient, affectionate, and strong. Now while these traits link us together they also set us apart as Human and Canine.


Lucy is very obedient, she will come when called, sit on command, shake, stay, and speak when asked. Lucy knows what the rules are and for the most part follows them. I too, like Lucy will come when my wife calls. I will sit when my boss asks me to have a seat, and I shake hands when I meet someone new or encounter a friend. When someone says “Jeremy stay here and wait for the ambulance” I listen and follow their instructions just like Lucy listens. When board members ask for my opinions I speak up and say what is on my mind.

The major difference in obedience between Lucy and me is that Lucy is only obedient with me and my wife. I on the other hand am obedient with my wife, parents, employer, teachers, and certain community members like police officers and firefighters. Unlike Lucy, I understand that there is not one master of the universe, but rather many moving parts that make up our universe.


Lucy is also the most affectionate dog you will ever meet. She needs attention 24/7/365.  If you are sitting on the couch you better be patting her or she will put her nose under your hand and flick it up into the air until it lands on top of her head. It is funny the first time she does it, but by the end of the night you want to slap her. If your face is in her reach you are going to get Lucy kisses until you move you head. If you manage to get your hand into a safety zone she will jump on the couch with you and inch her way onto your lap. Sounds like fun, but Lucy is 106 lbs of dog that wants to be all over you. I can’t say much I guess, because if my wife is in reach I’m going to give her some love too. Like Lucy I am very affectionate with my wife and kids. I was taught that it is OK to give hugs and kisses to those you love. Sometimes I will even try to inch my way into my wife’s lap and I’m 225 lbs of man who wants to be all over you. You can see how Lucy and I are both very affectionate creatures.

The major difference between us is I understand that everyone needs space and does not want love every second of every day. Unlike Lucy I can control my need for attention, love, and affection. For Lucy it is all about her and no one else. As a human I understand that it must we equally about others as well as yourself. I know that you cannot give love that is not wanted. Lucy on the other hand is like a tramp who will give it up to anyone that is willing and some that aren't.


Like I said before Lucy is a 106 lb. Boxer. She has one of those thick block looking heads that screams don’t mess with me. Lucy has a strong, deep hound howl that would make any would be robber pee in his pants. From her head to her toes each and every muscle is visibly toned like a body builder. Her massive mouth clenches down with in creditable force, making it nearly impossible to win a game of tug of war with her. Like my dog Lucy I am also a strong individual. I have stone cold eyes that can strike fear into anyone and a tone that commands respect from all. I have a toned physique and a grip of steel. Like Lucy I’m ready to throw down at a moment’s notice.

Unlike Lucy I know my own strength and can adjust my strength depending on who I’m with. Lucy is a powerhouse all the time whether she is playing with the kids or with my wife. I understand that every person needs to be handled differently, some with less force. If someone comes into the house that Lucy does not know she is on alert and wants to go after them. I on the other hand can control my aggression and strength with everyone. The control factor is what separates me the human from Lucy the canine.



Maybe the reason people say “dog is man’s best friend” is because we are so much alike. Maybe it is because we share similarities in so many traits. I think we are best friends because at our core we are uncensored animals trying to get out. I think it is only evolution and my wife that separates me from my canine counter parts. When I think about it I have howled at the moon, buried my bone, unleashed my inner beast, and if my wife did not yell at me I would still pee outside.    

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Unlike Lucy, I understand that there is not one master of the universe, but rather many moving parts that make up our universe."

    Nice line!

    "Lucy on the other hand is like a tramp who will give it up to anyone that is willing and some that aren't."

    So's this!

    " if my wife did not yell at me I would still pee outside. "

    And this. My wife never says a word when the dogs and I get busy enjoying nature, so to speak....

    Okay, let me react first to your time comment: ridiculous!

    You really aced this. You not only gave me a fine comparison essay (three similarities) but you followed up each similarity with a contrast graf! Holy hannah, that was good and that was ambitious!

    Can I save and use this in the future as a superior model?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knock your self out Goldfine. Thanks for the positive comments. I get nervous with time restraints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be happy if you used this piece for your future students to review
    and maybe some will get a really good idea from it. I think that would be cool.

    ReplyDelete