Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Process Essay draft #1


Another Day in Paradise

Like many people I know I often find myself saying "There just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done". I have a day planner that I carry with me everywhere and everything that I need to get done each day is logged in it. This is the only way I can get through the day without saying "I wish I had more time to get everything done". Everyday for me starts off the same way, my alarm goes off, I get up, go work out, and take a shower. The middle part of the day is broken down into three main parts: Work, Family, School and if I stick to my plan I get almost everything done that I need to get done each day. Like the beginning of my day starts the same way so does the end. Right before bed I brush my teeth, take a leak, and then try to seduce my wife into making love to me, this is my favorite part of the day! 

The first part of my day starts at 6 am as my cell phone plays Knockin On Heavens Door by Gun's n Roses, waking me from my sleep. I drag myself out of bed and head for the weight room, nothing gets the blood flowing in the morning like hitting the weights and listening to some tunes. I kiss my sleeping beauty on the forehead and wish I could fast forward the day so I can be back in bed with her. Soon I'm off to Unity to manage the day to day operations of my families grocery store. I love my 35 minute ride to work listening to Fox News catching up on the daily gossip and whats happening in the world. As soon as I walk through the front door everyone seems to get busy working as if the cat has come back home and the mice must now stop playing. I always head into the break room for my morning cup of coffee and then to the back room to get everyone motivated. Five or six hours of the customer always being right, stocking freight, and listening to the normal associate groins sends me right back out the front door wishing all the while I could be curled up with my baby, but for this cat there is still more to be done. I head over to the post office, accountant or run miscellaneous errands that need to be done. At this point I feel like I should get some lunch so my stomach will shut, but really who has time for lunch, not this cat. I'm off to job number two to check in on my investment properties, collect rents, mow the lawn or fix that leaky sink. I get excited when i'm at the apartment house because now i'm working for myself, i'm the boss. Having completed my "jobs" I can kiss the first part of the day goodbye as I get closer to ending my day and spending some time with the wife.

I pull the truck into my driveway and instantly switch gears from businessman to family man. My two stupid dogs run out of the garage to greet me. I wish dogs could talk because I know these dumb asses are thinking  dads home get the ball gotta get the ball. Ha ha here's the ball come on throw the ball come on throw the ball awwwh he threw the ball!!!! Inside my little princess Maria is awaiting my arrival so I can pick her up and she can touch the ceiling. "Uppie uppie" she says as we complete our routine. Once uppie time is over I must run the gantlet with the boys. They love to wrestle with me and practice their karate skills or some new move they learned from the Power Rangers. I get a welcome home kiss from the misses and my mind instantly races to all the fun we could have if the kids would just run up the road to their grand parents house. Usually pasta is whats for dinner in this house since mamma is an Italiano. Oh how I love the smell of her homemade sauce simmering on the stove with big chunks of meatball and sausage. After dinner I make sure each of our three kids has a bath, brushes their teeth and is safely tucked into bed. As I feed the dogs dinner I often silently thank God for blessing me with such a wonderful family. At this point my tummy is full and I can hear my sleep number bed calling my name" Jeremy you are getting sleepy". "I wish I could go to sleep ass hole, but I got to much to do" I mutter to myself. Making my way to my office past my bed I know that I'm two thirds of the way through my day.

It is now that I must slug down an energy drink in hopes of mustering up enough energy to complete my school work. Crap another essay to complete for Goldfine and accounting for Dr.D I might never get to sleep. Soon the words are flowing and my fingers are typing away. I feel an unusual release of tension as I complete my homework. One word after another, sentence after sentence, and then a completed graf or essay. I hope Goldfine will approve of this piece and Doritty will give another passing grade. Did I do the best I could, will I pass this class. My head fills with doubt and I can feel the tension building as my energy drink wears off. Reviewing my calendar I can see that I have completed the days tasks and fear that tomorrow will yet again be more of the same.

I crawl into bed after brushing my teeth and with a sigh say goodbye to the day hoping that god will bless me with tomorrow. I find peace not in how much I got done during the day, but rather what I did during the day. I have provided for my family, spent quality time with my loved ones, and attempted to enhance my future. Now there is only one thing left to do so I give my wife a nudge nudge and a wink wink and turn out the lights.  IT'S JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE!!






2 comments:

  1. "I hope Goldfine will approve of this piece."

    Very much so! Can I have a copy for future use with my classes? Your work here ought to inspire other writers to pack their grafs with real-life, nitty-gritty, human and specific details, a lesson I can never emphasize enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy for you to use this as well as any other piece you want for future classes etc...

      Delete