Monday, November 19, 2012

Effect Essay



On November 19th 2005 my son Nathan L. Edwards was born 6 pounds 11 ounces and 20 inches long. Seven years ago today I had no idea what a profound impact he would have on me and my life. How could a newborn baby change a man so much, even help him? Well having my little man has effected me in so many ways. Some of the ways I have been effected by the birth of my son are: I grew up, my priorities changed, and I began to understand why my parents were the way they were.

At twenty-two years old I was a young hell raising son of a gun with no responsibilities. I could go out when ever I wanted, drink all day and night, and spend every last dime I had on whatever I wanted. My young bride and I could make love til the sun came up and went down again. All of that changed in the blink of an eye, the day my baby boy was born. I found myself coming home early and staying in on Saturday night just to be with him not wanting to miss a thing. Cracking open beer cans turned into warming up baby bottles. Partying all night turned into rocking him to sleep all night. Spending all my money on crap turned into working overtime to pay for diapers and formula. Some people say that a boy becomes a man when a man is needed, it was my time to be that man because my wife and brand new baby needed me.

When Nate was born my wife, son Patrick, and I all lived in a small two bedroom trailer in Eddington. It was a good place, but not where I wanted to raise our new family. I was working for a big company making good money, but they did not care at all about me or my family. I took a new job that would bring in more money for my family and provide better opportunities for my family. As a result I was able to spend more time with my growing family. I traded in our small fast compact car for an SUV with more seating, four wheel drive, and more safety. We built a large home out in the country for extra security and more room for the kids to play not to mention we were no longer right on route nine. I started putting money into a retirement fund and saving for his college education. My path had once again changed and I believe for the better.

When I was a kid I never could figure out why mom and dad always had to know where I was going, who I was going with, when I would be back, and weather or not anyone's parents would be home. I did not understand why I had to save my money or why I could not have all the new toys the other kids had. Why was is so important that I eat a good breakfast and all my vegetables at dinner. "Do your homework before you go out and play" mom would tell me. "But mom I'll do it later" would be the reply. "Don't stand to close to the t.v", "go outside that dam video game is going to rot your brain".  I never in a million years would have thought that I would be repeating the words of my parents one day. Today my wife and I can be heard saying most of these lines and many others from our childhood. We do it because we love our kids, want them to be safe, and grow up to be good, responsible citizens. My mother and I talk about stuff like this now that I'm older and have kids. She loves to hear my go on about some of this stuff, she smiles and says to me now you know how we felt raising you and your brother. Mom always said what goes around comes around I guess she was right. Today I understand all to well what I put her through and all I can say is I'm sorry and I'm glad I got blessed with the parents I have.

I am so thankful for all of my children, I don't think there is anything better then having kids although my mother said to me the other day oh yes there is Grand kids! All I know is when you have kids everything else  moves to second place even your spouse. Kids are the only ones who will give unconditional love and deserve it in return. It is our duty as parents to teach them, protect them, and most importantly to love them. To Nathan, Patrick and my Maria thank you for making me a daddy and I'm so very proud to be your daddy I love you.
 


3 comments:

  1. That's a keeper and a corker--precisely organized, full of specifics, worth writing, and, if I may say so, dripping with paternal love and pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much I was concerned that I would not be able to compete with my other timed effect essay. My wife said to me when you write from the heart and about your son you will be able to smash your last paper.

      Delete
  2. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

    ---------------------------------------------------
    cattle exports | livestock exports | beef exports

    ReplyDelete