Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Graf #2 Worst Teacher


In August 2001 I started my college career at Keene State College in Keene, NH a town I had grown up in almost all of my life. Like most students I had a full class load including English 101. Little did I know that for the first time in my life I would tell not only an adult ,but one of my professors to "Fuck off you insensitive bitch!".

Yes, I actually said it. I'm not really proud of it ,but it needed to be said. Let me paint the picture for you. This teacher we will call her Mrs. B was a women in her late 40's to early 50's with a full head of white hair and weighed in at a solid three bills. Mrs. B hated men, loved the environment and was a die hard Democrat.
Time and time again I would try to meet with her to review my work and ask questions, but was always put off. She was always to busy to look at what she called sub par writing, and answer stupid questions I should have already known the answers to.

So I would quietly complete my work and be lucky to receive a C for my efforts all the while dreading Tuesday and Thursday when I would have to look at her ugly face and listen to her preach in class. I was like a ghost in her class always afraid to participate in class discussions or offer my opinions.

In Late October of 2001 we were given an assignment to write about our feelings and reactions to the September 11, attacks on the World Trade Center.

I completed my work and read it aloud to the class as was required. Being on the opposite political side of Mrs. B my reactions and feelings of this terrible event were as she put it "wrong and completely irrational".
I wanted to tell her what I really thought and ask how one's personal feelings and reactions can ever be wrong when they are your own personal feelings and thoughts. Instead I sat quietly and waited for her to finish tearing me and my views apart one by one in front of everyone.

Next to read was a young girl all of 17, golden blond hair, and 110lbs soaking wet. Her name was Jillian and she had been absent from class for two weeks. As Jillian stood up to read Mrs.B said "Oh Jill nice of you to show up for class" with a devilish smile. Jillian read her story holding back tears the while. After she was finished there was only one dry eye in the class that of Mrs. B.

Jillian's older sister was a waitress on one of the air planes that collided with the world trade center. Her sister 20 years old, the girl who she shared a room with growing up was gone,dead. Jillian was filled with sadness and anger.

Mrs. B said to Jillian something like well hun if your sister had stayed in school she wouldn't have died and you can't be mad at a single group of people or one small country for the act of a few. I know more was said but those words are what has stuck in my mind for the last 11 years. Jillian was destroyed by the words of Mrs. B and fell back to her seat covering the table in tears.

I remember my body filling with rage as I stood up and gave Mrs. B a large piece of my mind, I ended with "Fuck off you insensitive bitch" and every single one of my fellow classmates followed me out of our class.

Outside in the common Jillian gave me a hug and said "thank you for that". I never saw Jillian again ,but I heard that her parents had filed a grievance with the school and Mrs B took a leave of absence.  






2 comments:

  1. "Mrs. B said to Jillian something like well hun if your sister had stayed in school she wouldn't have died..."

    Whew, that runs considerably beyond the ordinary run of shitty-teacher and professional malpractice stories I read. If there were Nobel Prizes for Cruelty and Insensitivity...but you said it best in your brief speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a horrible experience but it has helped shape me into the man I am today and that I would not change for anything.

    ReplyDelete